Frequently Asked Questions

Why choose HTTP?

HTTP is one of the longest established school based ITT programmes having successfully trained several hundred teachers. We are small enough to be able to know and support trainees in a highly personalised manner and large enough to offer a broad training programme in a wide range of subjects.

How do I fund the training?

Further information about funding is available on our Funding page.

Where is the course based?

Trainees are placed in two of our partner secondary schools in the London Borough of Havering.  Professional studies are a combination of online learning and on-site training at The Brittons Academy or one of our Havering partner schools.

What are the entry requirements?

An honours degree of 2:2 or above and a GCSE grade C in maths and English or equivalent.

I did not pass my GCSEs, can I still join the course?

Unfortunately not although HTTP does recognise some equivalent qualifications.

What will my timetable be like?

Salaried trainees will teach from the outset in most schools. 10-15 hours a week.

Fee Funded trainees begin to take responsibility for classes from the second half of the Autumn Term, teaching six hours a week. This rises to ten hours in the Spring Term and fifteen in the Summer Term

When does the course start?

The course starts on the 30th August. Intial Induction will be in July 2024.

How will I be assessed?

The PGCE option is available on all routes. The PGCE is awarded by UEL on completion of two written assignments to the level specified by UEL. (Level 7).

QTS is assessed by providing evidence against the Teacher’s Standards where classroom performance is critical. A range of evidence gathered throughout your training year is used to assess your performance against the Standards.

Am I eligible for a bursary?

This depends upon your subject and degree classification.

Steps to become a teacher

Can I obtain any other financial support?

You may be eligible for a maintenance loan.

Steps to become a teacher

Do you have child care facilities?

Unfortunately HTTP is not able to provide child care facilities.

What is the interview process?

A formal interview to assess your aptitude for teaching for all candidates and a lesson observation for salaried routes only.

Can I choose the school I want to train in?

We use our knowledge from the longstanding partnerships in place to decide the best school for you.

Salaried trainees will be placed in the employing school but still undertake a second placement during the year. Trainees on the PGTA are employed by the host school.

Do I need a degree in the subject I want to teach in?

Not necessarily – in many “shortage” subjects suitable applicants can be offered a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course. This is free, can be undertaken on-line and starts at frequent times during the year.  Applicants may receive living expenses if they are not in paid employment. 

Who pays the training costs on a salaried route?

Salaried Trainees are paid a salary (unqualified teacher scale point 1) and their training costs are paid by the employing school.

Who pays the training fees on a fee-funded route?

Trainees will pay the tuition fees for their training but should be eligible for a tuition fee loan from The Student Loan Company.

Which qualifications will successful completion of the course deliver?

If you opt for the PGCE, upon successful completion, you will be awarded a PGCE with 60 Level 7 credits (Master’s Level) . All trainees successfully completing the course achieve Qualified Teacher Status.

Do you offer accommodation?

The Partnership does not provide any accommodation for trainee teachers. However, there is a good range of rental accommodation available at reasonable rates across Essex and East London.

Do the schools have good transport connections?

Havering schools are well served by public transport and the borough is easily accessible via main road networks, the tube and overland rail.

What disabled provisions do you have?

In recent years Havering schools have been modified in order to improve disabled access. Applicants who would benefit from disabled access should let us know in their application so that they can be considered for placements at the appropriate schools.